Home > Software > Webdevelopment > Docker > istioctl
- Package ID
Istio is an open platform-independent service mesh that provides traffic management, policy enforcement, and telemetry collection.
An open platform to connect, manage, and secure microservices.
- For in-depth information about how to use Istio, visit istio.io
- To ask questions and get assistance from our community, visit discuss.istio.io
- To learn how to participate in our overall community, visit our community page
In this README:
In addition, here are some other documents you may wish to read:
- Istio Community - describes how to get involved and contribute to the Istio project
- Istio Developer’s Guide - explains how to set up and use an Istio development environment
- Project Conventions - describes the conventions we use within the code base
- Creating Fast and Lean Code - performance-oriented advice and guidelines for the code base
You’ll find many other useful documents on our Wiki.
Istio is an open platform for providing a uniform way to integrate microservices, manage traffic flow across microservices, enforce policies and aggregate telemetry data. Istio’s control plane provides an abstraction layer over the underlying cluster management platform, such as Kubernetes.
Istio is composed of these components:
Envoy - Sidecar proxies per microservice to handle ingress/egress traffic between services in the cluster and from a service to external services. The proxies form a secure microservice mesh providing a rich set of functions like discovery, rich layer-7 routing, circuit breakers, policy enforcement and telemetry recording/reporting functions.
Note: The service mesh is not an overlay network. It simplifies and enhances how microservices in an application talk to each other over the network provided by the underlying platform.
Mixer - Central component that is leveraged by the proxies and microservices to enforce policies such as authorization, rate limits, quotas, authentication, request tracing and telemetry collection.
Pilot - A component responsible for configuring the proxies at runtime.
Citadel - A centralized component responsible for certificate issuance and rotation.
Citadel Agent - A per-node component responsible for certificate issuance and rotation.
Galley- Central component for validating, ingesting, aggregating, transforming and distributing config within Istio.
Istio currently supports Kubernetes and Consul-based environments. We plan support for additional platforms such as Cloud Foundry, and Mesos in the near future.
Please Note: This is an automatically updated package. If you find it is out of date by more than a day or two, please contact the maintainer(s) and let them know the package is no longer updating correctly.