- Package ID
GnuPG is a complete and free implementation of the OpenPGP standard as defined by RFC4880 (also known as PGP)
GnuPG itself is a commandline tool without any graphical stuff. It is the real crypto engine which can be used directly from a command prompt, from shell scripts or by other programs. Therefore it can be considered as a backend for other applications.
However, even when used on the command line it provides all functionality needed - this includes an interactive menu system. The set of commands of this tool will always be a superset of those provided by any frontends.
- Full replacement of PGP
- Does not use any patented algorithms
- GPLed, written from scratch
- Can be used as a filter program
- Full OpenPGP implementation (see RFC4880 at RFC Editor)
- Better functionality than PGP and some security enhancements over PGP 2
- Decrypts and verifies PGP 5, 6 and 7 messages
- Supports ElGamal, DSA, RSA, AES, 3DES, Blowfish, Twofish, CAST5, MD5, SHA-1, RIPE-MD-160 and TIGER
- Easy implementation of new algorithms using extension modules
- The User ID is forced to be in a standard format
- Supports key and signature expiration dates
- English, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Estonian, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Portuguese (Portuguese), Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish language support
- Online help system
- Optional anonymous message receivers
- Integrated support for HKP keyservers (wwwkeys.pgp.net)
- Clears signed patch files which can still be processed by patch
- and many more things….
- This is the modern version of GnuPG (2.2 branch). If you want the stable version (2.0 branch) install adequate version of Gpg4win
- Versions 2.1.16 to 2.2.12 of this tool are availalbe as gnupg-modern package (non embedded)