- Package ID
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is an integrated environment for accessing, configuring, managing, administering, and developing all components of SQL Server
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is an integrated environment for accessing, configuring, managing, administering, and developing all components of SQL Server. SSMS combines a broad group of graphical tools with a number of rich script editors to provide developers and administrators of all skill levels access to SQL Server.
The SSMS 18.x installation does not upgrade or replace SSMS versions 17.x or earlier. SSMS 18.x installs side by side with previous versions so both versions are available for use.
This package is versioned using the published build number. The corresponding ‘release number’ is included in the package title.
Supported SQL Server versions
- This version of SSMS works with all supported versions of SQL Server 2008 - SQL Server 2019 preview and provides the greatest level of support for working with the latest cloud features in Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
- Additionally, SSMS 18.x can be installed side by side with SSMS 17.x, SSMS 16.x, or SQL Server 2014 SSMS and earlier.
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) - SSMS version 17.x or later does not support connecting to the legacy SQL Server Integration Services service. To connect to an earlier version of the legacy Integration Services, use the version of SSMS aligned with the version of SQL Server. For example, use SSMS 16.x to connect to the legacy SQL Server 2016 Integration Services service. SSMS 17.x and SSMS 16.x can be installed side-by-side on the same computer. Since the release of SQL Server 2012, the SSIS Catalog database, SSISDB, is the recommended way to store, manage, run, and monitor Integration Services packages. For details, see SSIS Catalog.
Supported Operating systems
This release of SSMS supports the following 64-bit platforms when used with the latest available service pack:
- Windows 10 (64-bit) *
- Windows Server 2016 *
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
* Requires version 1607 (10.0.14939) or later
This package is automatically updated based on the same data source that SSMS itself uses to determine when updates are available. This may mean that there may sometimes be a delay between Microsoft releasing a new version and when they ‘advertise’ it as being generally available for SSMS to update.